After an extended testing and preview period, Google has announced Android 5.0 Lollipop is debuting on three new Nexus devices — the Nexus 6 smartphone, Nexus 9 tablet, and Nexus Player streaming media device.
Android 5.0 Lollipop is a big release for Google — it’s the most significant visual update to Android since 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich was released in 2011, and it lays the foundation for Android to grow as a platform outside of smartphones and tablets. Google is very clearly pushing Android as the software for the future, and it wants Android to be on every connected device we interact with. Lollipop is the first step to getting there.
Google describes Lollipop as its “largest, most ambitious release on Android.” The company touts Lollipop’s flexibility and says it wants Lollipop to excel across multiple platforms. It is capable of running on just 512-megabytes of memory. It’s a push that started way back with KitKat, and is continuing on to make sure Material design’s slickest features should work on low-end devices, too. This ensures that the Chinese and Indian markets don’t miss out on the best of Lollipop and that Android devices everywhere can look and feel the same.
Android Lollipop 5.0 Brief Features
- MultiTasking : Lollipop brings over 5,000 new APIs for developers to tap into and lets multiple different Android devices with various form factors work better together
- Quick settings : Google says that things such as songs, photos, apps, and recent searches can be seamlessly synced across various Android devices.
- Notifications bar : Lollipop also includes new notification controls to limit alerts during meetings and other times, a new battery saver mode that can eke out 90 more minutes of life between charges, multiple user accounts, guest user modes, and new ways to secure your device via trusted Bluetooth connections.You can adjust your settings so only certain people and notifications get through. When it’s important, respond directly from your lockscreen
- Security : Lollipop will also include a protection against resetting the phone to factory defaults, which is designed to make it difficult for phone thieves to use a stolen device. Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
- Extras : Many of these features have been implemented by various Android device makers on their own smartphones and tablets for some time, but Google is now making sure they are part of the core Android experience.
Which phones and tablets are getting Android 5.0 Lollipop and when ?
Nexus 4 – Arriving in the fall
Nexus 5 – Within the coming weeks
Nexus 6 – Arriving with Android Lollipop upon release in November
Nexus 7 – Within the coming weeks
Nexus 9 – Arriving with Android Lollipop upon release in November
If you have a Moto G or Moto X (all generations), a Moto E or various other smartphones, Motorola has said Lollipop will be available later this year.
Moto E – Confirmed by Motorola, expected by end of 2014
Moto G – Confirmed by Motorola, expected by end of 2014
Moto G LTE edition – Confirmed by Motorola, expected by end of 2014
Moto X – Confirmed by Motorola, expected by end of 2014
Moto G (2014) – Expected by the end of 2014
Moto X (2014) – Expected by the end of 2014
Droid Turbo – Expected by end of 2014
If you have an HTC One M8 or M7, there’s good news since the company has said it will deliver the update within 90 days of getting the final version of Android L from Google.
All the other ‘One’ smartphones will get the update, but it will be after those first two devices.
HTC One – within 90 days of receiving the Android Lollipop source code
HTC One M8 – within 90 days of receiving the Android Lollipop source code
HTC One mini – promised for update, no hard schedule
HTC One mini 2 – promised for update, no hard schedule
HTC One GPE – pending
HTC One M8 GPE – pending
The Android Lollipop SDK will be made available to 3rd party developers on October 17th, so if those “90-day” manufacturers stick to their word, you could see be seeing Android Lollipop on your device before the end of January.